Current preparation is a chromatographically purified phage lysate active against S.aureus bacterial strains.
The necessary condition for use of Staphylococcal bacteriophage is preliminary determinations of phage- susceptibility of bacteria- the causative agent of infections disease. The preparation is used only in case of sensitivity bacteria to the phage.
Therapeutic preparation is directed to use for the treatment of infections caused by staphylococcal such as:
Upper airways, nose, throat, lung, ear (pharyngitis, tonsillitis, tracheitis, bronchitis, Plevritis, pneumonia, inflammation of the middle ear) infectious diseases:
- Surgical infections ( infectious wound, infected burn, abscess, phlegmon, furuncle, carbuncle, paraproctitis, mastitis, bursitis, osteomyelitis, panaricium);
- Urogenital infections (urethritis, cystitis, pyelonephritis, colpitis, endometritis);
- Enteric infections ( gastroenteric colitis, cholecystitis);
- Purulent - septic infections in the newborn ( omphalitis, pyoderma, conjunctivitis, gastroenteric colitis and others)
- Other Staphylococcal infections.
The staphylococcal bacteriophage is also used for prophylaxis, for treatment of post-operational and infected wounds, as well as in case of hospital staphylococcal infections, confirmed as an epidemiological indicator.
Mode of application and doses of Staphylococcal phage preparation during different infectious diseases.
Staphylococcal bacteriophage preparation is used locally only after appropriate treatment of the source of infection. The duration of phage treatment is 10-20 days. In case of relapse of disease, the course of treatment might be repeated.
- Against purulent-septic infections of upper airways, nose, throat, lung, hear ( pharyngitis, tonsillitis, tracheitis, bronchitis, Plevritis, pneumonia, inflammation of the middle ear), the phage is used 2-3 times a day, using 2-10 ml of preparation by rising, gargling, dropping and plugging (duration of plugging 1 hour).
- For the treatment of furunculosis and carbunculousis, liquid Staphylococcal Phage is introduced directly in the source of infection, subcutaneously, or infiltrate and around it. The preparation should be injected every day or every other day, based on the severity of the disease, by increasing doses: first injection - 0.5ml. following injections - 1 - 1.5 ml - 2 ml of phage preparation. Duration of treatment includes 3-5 injections. In case of an infectious abscess, the phage is introduced by injection in the abscess cavity after the evacuation of pus; the volume of used phage should be less than evacuated pus. In case of an open abscess, a tampon with phage might be used in the cavity.
- 100 ml of phage preparation is used in enteric, pleural, joint and other cavities. Capillary drainage should be left in the cavity for the repeated introduction of phage every other day, in total 3-4 times.
- In case of lung abscess, the phage is used by trans-thoracal puncture and by catheter in the tracheobronchial system. In the case of emphysema, the preparation could be used for puncture and drainage. One dose includes 10-20ml of phage during phage application by catheter of tracheobronchial system, in case of emphysema the singe dose is from 10ml to 50ml.
- During intestinal problems in newborns, on the initial phase, the first two applications - staphylococcal phage should be diluted twice with cooled boiled water, if there is no side reaction, treatment should be continued by non-diluted phage. In case of sepsis and enterocolitis in newborns, the phage should be applied to the rectum (by catheter) 2-3 times in 24 hours. Bacteriophage can be used orally and by enema.
- Bacteriophage can be applied by application in infected wounds and pyoderma in newborns twice a day (sterile bandage should be soaked in phage and applied on infected/damaged area of skin).
There are no contraindications ever observed for Staphylococcal phage.
The use of Staphylococcal phage does not exclude concomitant use of other antibacterial remedies.
Packaging and Storage Conditions
The preparation comes in a 20g jar.
Storage temperature: room temperature.
Shelf life: 6 months.
Conditions of release: Out of prescription
Developed by: G.Eliava Institute of bacteriophage, Microbiology and virology.